REVIEW BEFORE YOU START
- Install your tile after all other construction, if at all possible. Even though clé cement tiles are the only cement tiles that arrive pre-sealed and pre-polished, it will be next to impossible to clean them if they become soiled from abuse at the construction site.
- do not use “permacolor” grouts. only use standard grouts. clé does not recommend any particular grout manufacturer. but we do require that only standard unsanded grouts be used for our cement tile. this will prevent them from absorbing the excess stains that can occur with any grouts but are particularly problematic with “permacolor” grouts.
PREPPING FOR YOUR CEMENT TILE INSTALLATION
- use a high quality thin-set adhesive based in cement. you can always contact the tile adhesive manufacturer to recommend the appropriate adhesive. further details include following adhesive manufacturer’s instructions.
- cement tiles should not use methods of installation that require large amounts of water. also take care to install out of direct sunlight to insure proper drying of adhesives.
- cement tiles are absorbent and should be soaked in water for a few seconds before they are laid in the thinset mortar bed, but not too wet as to dilute the adhesive!
PROPER PLACEMET OF YOUR TILES TO THE SUBSTRATE
- make sure that adhesive is applied to the full back of each tile (100% coverage). back-buttering the tiles is a recommended way of insuring this coverage, but be careful to not allow excess adhesive to form into the grout joints.
- a small (1/16") grout joint is best. If choosing a larger grout joint, this can disturb your pattern, and may harm your tile edges.
- be sure to gently press tiles into floor adhesive with a perpendicular back and forth motion to collapse ridges and ensure a level set. beating tiles with mallets or rubber hammers can break or crack tiles.
- insure that the tiles are perfectly level throughout the installation. 5. be sure to pay attention to your pattern to insure your patterns align.
A LITTLE EXTRA CARE GOES A LOOOONG WAY
- handle tiles carefully to avoid chipping edges. (chipped edges can be eased with a tile stone).
- clean as you go. If there is excess adhesive on the surface, use a damp cloth or sponge to remove quickly and avoid any stains.
- use a sharp diamond blade in wet saw to avoid chipping of edges.
- let the tiles completely dry after installation! (can take several days) do not seal, polish, cover or walk on your installation until it has dried completely.
- moisture left in your installation can also cause stains, pitting or cracking in the tiles surface.
- efflorescence will occur when there is moisture in your substrate.